Transition: the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another.
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for fall. For some reason, it seems like Boone is stuck in summer. Y’all, this isn’t a common occurrence. Normally, Boone gets an earlier start to fall and an incredibly early start to winter. So while I desperately am wanting to pull out the boots and thick, warm cardigans and leggings, I’m having to discover ways to dress appropriately for an air-conditionless classroom and the fall that I crave so much.
So what does make a good transition piece? The first thing to ask yourself is “how many months can I wear this?” You want something that you can style to handle the August heat and the November wind. Use these questions to help you out!
- Shoes: Can you wear them with shorts, can you wear them with jeans, and can you wear them with leggings? This question is great for an item like booties. With the right kind of shorts, they’d be great in august. With jeans or leggings and a dress, they can work with both casual or fancy outfits.
- Skirts: Are they a length appropriate to wear with leggings or tights? That’s a great way to determine if a skirt can be worn year round. [This skirt from an earlier post is great with leggings and boots in the winter.]
- Dresses: Does it have sleeves, and if so, are they breezy enough for the heat of warm days? Can a cardigan fit/be worn on top? If you can check both of those off, then that dress is a go! [For a good example, check out this dress or this post!]
- Shorts: Would they be cute with tights underneath? I’m a sucker for this look with dressy shorts. I don’t wear it enough in the winter [because I might be a little scared to try to pull it off] but whenever I see it, I always admire it! These shorts would be great for that kind of look.
- Tops: How can you layer it? Layering is essential in transition pieces. Can it be worn with a scarf? Vest? Cardigan? Under a sweater? The more yeses you get here, the better off you are with the top!
What’s your favorite transition piece? I have more solid color shirts in my wardrobe than anything else, just because I can always find a way to wear them! Normally I use scarves to adjust my outfits to the weather, but this year I’m hooked on these booties!
Linked up with: Still Being Molly // Whitney a la Mode // A Little Bit of Cheer // A Lovely Little Wardrobe // Fizz and Frosting // Sincerely Jenna Marie // More Pieces of Me // Pink Sole // Cha Cha the Fashion Genius // Garay Treasures // I do Declaire // Elegantly Dressed and Stylish // Style Elixir // Myriad Musings // Mama and More